Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Installing Frash on a Jailbroken iPhone






A lot of people have been waiting for Flash on an iPhone (unofficially of course), and if you?re jailbroken, you can have it now, via Frash.� Frash is basically a port of Flash 10.1 for mobile.� We also have to keep in mind, it?s in a severe Alpha stage.� And it shows.� But if you just can?t wait to get your hands on a way to run Flash on an iPhone, click on through for some more thoughts as well as a walkthrough complete with video of how to install.



First for my thoughts on Frash. Honestly, a year ago I would have been more excited to have Flash on an iPhone. Maybe it?s just me, but ever since El Jobso essentially put the ban hammer down when it comes to Flash on iPhone, a lot of companies and web designers have been more wary when coding websites. It seems like more and more sites everyday are embedding code in order to make their sites more iPhone friendly. A huge example is Vimeo. I hated it when I?d be browing news sites or blogs and videos would be embedded with services like Vimeo. You just couldn?t watch them. Now, they load nicely in a Quicktime mobile player and you?re good to go. Facebook also supports iPhone mobile video viewing from within their native app. This solved most of my Flash woes overnight.

I can also see why some people still want Flash. Some websites still use splashscreens written in Flash. It?s especially irritating to not be able to get to a website?s main page just because the intro is written in Flash. Most of the time, you can type index.html or something of the like into the address bar after the web address to bypass Flash, but not always. (Not to mention it?s a pretty annoying workaround.) If you?re someone who tends to deal with a lot of Flash content, Frash is probably your best solution as of now.

I wouldn?t recommend installing Frash on any iPhone model below a 3GS. Safari will most likely do nothing but crash on you. And again, keep in mind Frash is still in it?s very infant stages. But if you?re still interested in giving Frash a go, follow these instructions to install or watch the video below which also provides a walkthrough and demonstration of some of the bugs I?ve experienced with Frash so far.
Jailbreak Your iDevice via JailbreakMe.com, you can find directions here.
Next, you?ll need to add a repo to Cydia. Tap Sources along the bottom, then go to manage, tap edit at the top, then add the following repo: http://repo.benm.at/
Once you?re done adding the repo, search ?Frash? in Cydia and install. That?s it, you?re done. You should now be able to access flash data via Safari on your iDevice.

Let us know how it works for you. As you can see from my video below, I experience a lot of crashes with it. I?m also using a 3GS for jailbreaking purposes as I have the prox sensor issue with my iPhone 4 and don?t want to jailbreak that one as I?ll install 4.1 the minute it?s released so I can quit FaceTiming people with my cheek already. But if you?ve had a better experience than mine (or worse), leave it in the comments below, along with any tips or tricks you may have!



YouTube Link


AUTOMATIC DATA PROCESSING BENQ BROADCOM CANON

No comments:

Post a Comment